Saturday, March 11, 2017

Grindelford Gallop

Last weekend the Hope fell race was a messy one! Checkout the facebook video
Lovely weather by accelerate

Undeterred by the weather my intrepid explorers ventured out to Great Longstone. Starting from the Crispin pub we wandered up onto Longstone moor into the snow. This was a useful recce of part of the Grindelford gallop route.

The following weekend was the actual Grindelford Gallop race this is a 21 mile route heading out of Grindelford along the Derwent valley then on upto Eyam, Foolow and Longstone moor. After Great Longstone the route proceeds along the Monsal Trail to Bakewell railway station. Then up through the golf course to the Chatsworth. After Edensor the route passes in front of Chatsworth House and goes to Baslow. The final climb of the day takes the traveller onto Baslow, Curbar and Froggatt edge then a fast finish back through the Haywood  to Grindelford. The route is shown below. 



The start of the race was exciting it's referred to as The Scrum.
I followed someone from the Killamarsh kestrels proceeding at a convincing pace. However on the downhill stretches I didn't holdback. I paid for this on the final run from Baslow to Curbar edge. In training I'd manage to run this but I had lost it! I was plodding uncomfortably along the edges.

Crossing the Haywood stream was as usual entertaining the other week, when out running with Louis, I splashed some walkers how embarrasing! Today with a photographer  I made another splash wobbling across and almost falling over!

The final stretch through the Haywood was fab, I'd held a little back to enjoy this bit! It helped having someone on my tail I managed to catch a couple of people. This was a fab race and it's not surprising that all the places are taken within 10 minutes of entries opening.

It's always great to have support of my family and buddies from the North derbyshire running club.  One of the good things about the race is the food a bowl of delicious soup, bread and a mug of tea provided a brilliant end to the race.

The race results are here.
The grindelford gallop site

This race is a fab way of raising funds for the Grindelford primary school.

My next race is the spire ultra on the 27th may.
This is a stepping stone to a 66 mile ultra in the lakes..., perhaps this time I'm trying to bite off too much,   mmmm  dubious, training is underway, watch this space.






 

No comments: